Friday, December 31, 2010

Where I've been, how far I've come, and where I'm going

So on this day last year, I posted my New Year's Resolutions for the 2010 year. Here it is if you want to see it all. But if you don't want to, this was my list:


Lose weight - If I lost any, it's a small amount

Be a better mom - I had some successes and failures here - nothing too detrimental

Be closer to God - I am not any farther away from Him, but not sure about closer

Be a better wife - I think I have been a good wife though not sure about better

Go to church more regularly - FAIL and not proud to admit that

Get Hannah's BR fully decorated (dresser refinished, artwork up, and curtain) - got 2 out of 3 here; still need to hang artwork

Get Makaela's BR fully decorated (artwork and curtain) - does getting a curtain rod for her room count for anything?

Get our BR fully decorated (new bedspread, walls antiqued, curtains, artwork, big piece of furniture) - we got a bedspread!

Valance for above kitchen window - ironically, without looking at my list, I have been thinking about tackling this in the next couple of days

Drapery piece for back door - nope

Organize junk in office - ummmm no!

Scrapbooking layouts into albums - no

Find Christmas tree topper - yes, yes, yes! Man it feels good to say yes to something!

Christmas gifts purchased by end of November - I wish!

Plan a nice 35th birthday party for Joel - I must have thought I put 40th birthday party. :)

Create prayer list - no

Take more video of girls - I probably did more than in 2009

Meal plan for whole year - I think I did it for 2 weeks. It was the best 2 weeks of my life so I am not certain why I stopped.

Train for Camp Pendleton Mud Run - train? no! completed? yes!

Get older pictures printed and ready for scrapbooking - I actually did some of this, but not as much as I would have liked.

Get Hannah signed up for extracaricular activity - she played soccer this past Fall

Do a Jillian Michaels video at least once a week - ha ha ha ha

Get the kids exercising more - we did better but nothing too structured

Teach Hannah how to ride a bike with no training wheels - YES! She did it! And she was awesome at it. And then she outgrew that bike and we bought her one that is too big for her to start on her own so training wheels are back on it.

Exercise dogs more - does the fact that I took Buddy for a 3 mi run today count for anything? Who cares if it was the first run in ohhhh, a year!


So there's my progress for 2010. It leaves a lot to be desired.


Things that weren't on the list that I did accomplish were:

Train for a 1/2 marathon - so far my training has had me run over 100 miles

Prepare for, cook for, and host a fancy dinner for 6 of our closest friends - a 5 course meal was cooked and was a brilliant success if I may say so myself

Go on a 2 week vacation with family - stomach flu suffered by all 4 of us along the way and we still made it and travelled technically through 5 states

Furnished our living room.

Completed 3 Pottery Barn knockoff shelves for the house (with Joel's help of course).

Stopped biting my nails - I never really thought this would happen, but then one random day I read something about another girl who had the same bad habit and I just decided I didn't want to have that habit anymore. Can I just tell you, broken nails are SUPER frustrating and they hurt way worse than nails bitten down to the fingertips?


For 2011, I am going to carry over most of the unfinished items from 2010 (kitchen valance, back door drapery, finish girls' rooms, prayer list, meal plan) and add a few. Added are:


Create and follow a budget so that hopefully we can save some money but more importantly keep me from stressing too much after I pay the bills and realize I have $10 in the account and a full 2 weeks til I get paid again.


Complete my 1/2 marathon in January.


Continue with a running schedule 3x a week after my race.


Finish the 3 baby albums I owe friends (Milena, Charlie, and Payton - Charlie's is almost done)


Get some for artwork, pictures, quotes, etc on our walls.


Eat better - more fruits, veggies, wholesome stuff as opposed to the soda, candy, and other junk I love.

Spend at least 1/2 hour a day doing nothing but playing with my girls. I need to take advantage of this time that they want to do stuff with me and all the millions of other things I need to do will have to wait because they deserve at least that and so much more.

Potty train Makaela - who at this moment is showing no signs of interest in it.

Get some sort of a garden going that actually produces something we can eat.

I know there's a ton more things I want to do. Here's to a great 2011!!!

1 comment:

simply susan said...

Hmmm... interesting to see what your goals were. I SAW a Mom who spent alot of time with her kids doing THINGS with them. Even if it was a day outside... that is huge in a growing girls life and developing a relationship with their Mom. I loved all of the creative things that you posted throughout the year... I loved seeing all of the projects that you saw and then tackled on your own such as the book page wreath... loved that one! I think if you looked back at all the things that you posted you actually have done ALOT. They just were not on a list to cross off.
If I did HALF of what you did I would feel like I had a good year :) Happy New Year to you!